Yup! You read that right. Give a Marshmallow to someone passing some kidney stones and you could be seeing that grimaced face turn to a smiling figure.:)
Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) is a gentle demulcent and anti-inflammatory herb, and will make passing stones less painful. But read on… there’s more.
This article could be a real eye-opener for you
Kidney stones are crystallised minerals – usually calcium oxalate that become
lodged in kidney tissue. There are 10 times more cases today than 100 years ago.
A strong hereditary and gender link (most stone-formers are men), processed
foods, red meat, coffee, and antacids have all been implicated. Other contributing
factors include a diet high in protein or calcium, and a history of urinary tract infections.
These natural measures can at least help ease the passing of a stone, and help prevent
the formation of new ones.
Note: Fever and chills on urination may indicate an infection that requires medical attention. Surgical intervention may be recommended if stones are very large; otherwise, an instrument called a nephroscope, which breaks up the stones with shock
waves, is used.Supplements
* You need vitamin B6 to break down oxalates. A deficiency makes oxalic acid accumulate
and form crystals with calcium. Take 50mg a day.
* Magnesium increases the solubility of calcium oxalate, discouraging crystal formation.
Take 400-500mg. daily; the citrate form may be most effective.* Go easy on calcium. As most kidney stones contain calcium, it’s wise not to exceed
1 gram of calcium supplementation daily. If you have been advised to take extra calcium,
choose calcium citrate formulas. Vitamin C can potentially form oxalates in high amounts.* A homoeopathic remedy with a strong affinity with both the urinary and digestive systems
that is often recommended for kidney stones, cystitis, and gallbladder problems is Berberis.
Tissue salts Silicea and Nat. phos. are also helpful.Diet
* A low-salt diet will reduce the calcium in your urine, which may reduce your risk of
forming new stones. Read labels carefully – your goal should be less than 6 grams (2400mg
sodium) a day.
A low-protein, low-fat diet helps reduce oxalate formation.* Cut back on foods rich in oxalates (e.g. rhubarb, tea, beetroot, figs, pepper, lamb, poppy seeds, soy, spinach, chocolate, wheat bran). Oxalate combines with calcium to form kidney stones.
* Cut back on coffee and soft drinks. Coffee increases calcium in the urine, while carbonated
beverages (including naturally carbonated and mineral waters) contain phosphates, which are
also associated with stone development. * Some studies have linked grapefruit juice to kidney stone formation. Lemon juice, however,
helps acidify the urine and eases the passage of calcium oxalate stones. Dilute the juice of
1 lemon in water and drink daily. Drinking lots of water keeps the urine dilute.
* Drink 2 glasses of cranberry juice daily. Research suggests that it may help reduce the amount
of calcium in the urine. In one study, cranberry juice reduced the amount of calcium in the urine
by half. You could also try taking 400mg of a standardised cranberry extract twice a day. Drinking
aloe vera juice may also reduce urinary crystals.
* Cornsilk (Zea mays) is soothing and mildly antiseptic, and helps reduce irritation in the urinary system.
* Goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea) is a diuretic that helps eliminate kidney stones, probably due to its
flavonoid and saponin compounds. Drink the tea daily as a preventive. Parsley (Petroselinum crispum), horsetail (Equisetum arvense) and dandelion (Taraxacum officinate) are all powerful diuretics and can be used in the same way. Either take them in capsule form, or drink 2-3 cups of the tea daily.
* Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) tones the kidneys and stimulates the production and output of urine,
so minerals don’t have a chance to build up inside the kidney, bladder, or ureters.
* Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) is a gentle demulcent and anti-inflammatory herb, and will make
passing stones less painful.
* Bearberry (Uva ursi) is traditionally used for kidney infections and helps relieve pain and cleanse
the urinary tract as well as support kidney function. Take 250-500mg three times a day.